This week, Britney Spears’ first single ever, ‘Baby One More Time’ video turned 19!
In celebration inTouch Weekly posted some sweet facts about the music video (& we added a couple!):
- The video concept was all Brit’s idea! Back in 1999 she told Rolling Stone magazine: “They had this really bizarre video idea, this animated Power Ranger-y thing. I said, ‘This is not right. If you want me to reach four-year-olds, then OK, but if you want me to reach my age group …’ So I had this idea where we’re in school and bored out of our minds, and we have Catholic uniforms on. And I said, ‘Why don’t we have knee-highs and tie the shirts up to give it a little attitude?’ — so it wouldn’t be boring and cheesy.“
- Each outfit was from Kmart and not a single piece was more than $17
- Her love interest was played by her cousin Chad Spears (who is also a model)
- The teacher in the video was played by her friend/assistant Felicia Culotta
- The video was filmed at the same school that the movie Grease was made at
- Those flips she does in the video? All performed by her!
- The song itself was originally offered to TLC, who turned it down. When Brit heard it for the first time she said: “I knew from the start it was one of those songs you want to hear again and again. It just felt really right.“